Fraser Lake Airport upgrades will boost industry and tourism investment in B.C.’s central interior

November 25, 2013

Northern Development has approved $171,394 in funding to support improvements at Fraser Lake Airport

Fraser Lake, B.C. – Northern Development Initiative Trust’s board of directors has approved a $171,394 grant to support upgrades to Fraser Lake’s airport, which will position the community to better capitalize on nearby resource industry and tourism opportunities. The upgrades include new signage, security fencing and a mobile trailer, which will be utilized as an office.

The current airport has a 4,000-foot paved runway and is located eight kilometres outside of the Village of Fraser Lake. The airport currently lacks security fencing and employees on site, which makes pilots reluctant to land and leave their aircraft at the site untended. The upgrades will allow pilots to leave their planes at a manned and secure airport, allowing them to visit and conduct business in the Fraser Lake area, ultimately leading to more landings and increased use of the village’s services.

Increased air access to Fraser Lake will attract more attention to local hunting and fishing opportunities, and improve access to nearby major resource operations such as mines, sawmills and pipelines. Northern Development’s $171,394 grant will cover 70% of the project’s budget. The Village of Fraser Lake will provide the remaining 30% of the funding needed to complete the upgrades. Long-term upgrades to the airport include the installation of a fueling station and lighting for night flying.

The grant is being provided through the Trust’s Economic Diversification Infrastructure program, which provides up to $250,000 in funding to municipalities, regional districts, First Nations and non-profit organizations in Northern Development’s service area for projects that significantly strengthen the local economy via a major capital investment.

Northern Development has previously supported airport upgrades in the City of Quesnel, the Village of Masset, Anahim Lake, the District of Vanderhoof and the City of Prince George.


“Basic infrastructure upgrades at airports directly translate into more visitors to our region and stronger local economies,” said Evan Saugstad, Chair, Northern Development Initiative Trust. “The Trust is proud to support projects that position communities like Fraser Lake for growth.”

“The Village of Fraser Lake is well-positioned along the Highway 16 corridor to take advantage of the many energy and mining projects slated for our region, as well as the fantastic hunting and fishing opportunities the central interior already boasts,” said Village of Fraser Lake Mayor Dwayne Lindstrom. “A big thank you to Northern Development for investing in our airport, and continuing to support economic diversification in Fraser Lake.”


Joel McKay
Director, Communications
Northern Development Initiative Trust
Tel: 250.561.2525
Cell: 778.349.4027

About Northern Development

Northern Development Initiative Trust is an independent regional economic development corporation focused on stimulating economic growth and job creation in central and northern British Columbia. To date, $115 million in funding has been committed to 1,256 projects in communities throughout central and northern British Columbia.

For information on Northern Development and the community economic development projects being led in communities throughout northern B.C., visit: