Launch your career with Northern Development internships
Join our network of 100+ Northern Development interns and kickstart your career in local government, First Nations government and business development in Northern B.C. Available to recent graduates of post-secondary, our 12-month paid internship programs offer emerging professionals the opportunity to spend a year living and working in beautiful Northern B.C., receive personal mentoring, professional development and a network of flexible career options.
Our 2021 Program
Visit our Intern FAQ page for more information about the 2021 internship program.
Host local governments and First Nations governments vary from year to year. Each of the below organizations are approved, after submitting an application, to host a Northern Development intern for 12 months. They have gone through a comprehensive selection process that consider factors like work plan, mentor and more.
Our 2021 host communities:
Who are we looking for?
Northern Development is seeking motivated, enthusiastic and civic-minded graduates to learn and develop their professional skills for a career in government administration and economic development.
- Expressed interest in local government, politics and policy
- An interest in pursuing a career in government, economic development or business development
- Experience working in large groups toward a common goal
- The ability to think big picture
- Effective and professional communication
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable
- A recent (2 years) graduate of a bachelor’s degree program from a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution
- Students currently enrolled or graduated from a recognized Canadian Graduate degree will also be considered
- Students graduating in Spring 2020 are eligible
- Students enrolled in a certificate or diploma program in Public Administration or First Nations/Indigenous Studies will be considered
- Qualified self-identifying Indigenous/First Nations individuals will be given preference for First Nations government internship
- Must hold a valid B.C. drivers license or international drivers license
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada for the duration of the 12-month internship
- Successful completion of security screening requirements which includes a criminal records check, and/or Criminal Records Review Act (CRRA) check.
- January 8 Application deadline for host local government and First Nation governments
- February 12 Application deadline for local government and First Nation government interns
- Interns will receive a salary of $45,000 and may be eligible for a housing allowance up to $10,000.
- Interns will also receive support to pursue professional development opportunities mutually determined by mentor and intern to be beneficial to intern role and career.
Our Intern Alumni
The Northern Development Intern alumni community is over 100 members working at varying levels of government across the country. Read some of our recent alumni success stories below:
Q&A with Lina Gasser, 2015 intern
Through Rayne or Shine
The Future is Never Crystal Clear
The Call of the North