The Northern Housing Incentive program provides grant funding to local governments to create a ‘Dollars to the Door’ program that will enhance and support economic development by incentivizing private sector housing developments. The Northern Housing Incentive program is intended to incentivize the creation of new market-based housing units in communities throughout the Trust’s service area, which will, in turn, retain seniors and attract workforce and thereby increase business and employment opportunities.
Local governments are eligible to receive a grant of up to $10,000 per dwelling created in a multi-unit market housing project to a maximum contribution of $200,000.
Example: Local Government ‘A’ has secured a developer who wishes to build 10 new townhomes in the community. The local government can then apply for the Northern Housing Incentive Program for $100,000 ($10,000/unit). If approved, the grant provided to the local government must be passed along to the developer as a direct incentive upon completion of the development.
Apply for funding
- Please review all program documents in detail as incomplete applications will not be reviewed
- Completed application forms with all supplementary materials should be provided electronically to Northern Development by email to email@example.com
Approved funds will be disbursed to the local government following the completion of the project supported through the incentive program and submission of required reporting documentation is deemed satisfactory by Northern Development.
- A project is considered complete once a final Occupancy Permit is issued
- Reporting must be submitted using Northern Development’s Northern Housing Incentive Reporting Form along with required attachments
- Grants will be disbursed in one payment upon completion of all units included in the development
- The grant provided to the local government must be passed along to the developer
Please contact Northern Development staff to discuss your project in further detail.
Phone : (250) 561-2525