The Local Government Internship program provides grant funding for municipalities and regional districts within Northern Development’s service area to assist with the cost of hosting a local government intern for a 12-month period.
The internship program promises to provide a high level of professional development and training that will prepare recent graduates for roles in local government. The program is expected to provide interns with the knowledge and experience they need to take the next step in a fulfilling and satisfying career and the contacts to obtain a permanent position within local government.
The internship program objectives are:
- To act as a pathway to accelerate operational learning and permanent placement into professional careers in local government
- To provide results focused professional training with Northern Development Initiative Trust and host communities
- To make local government a career of choice by financially supporting internship opportunities for post-secondary graduates
- To promote career development, advancement opportunities, and quality of life in Northern BC
- To help interns develop competencies essential to local government administration
Internship opportunities are not intended for positions otherwise covered by collective agreements. Host local governments are responsible for undertaking consultation with their respective unions to clarify the objectives of this program.
Host local governments should email their completed host local government application package to email@example.com by January 1st.
Interested internship candidates should email their completed intern application package to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15 (deadline has been extended).