B.C. Buy Local Week showcases the importance of buying B.C. products and services
As holiday shopping kicked into high gear, LOCO BC once again celebrated B.C. Buy Local Week from December 2-8. This annual celebration recognizes the unique value that B.C. businesses make to the provincial economy. Northern Development was pleased to see local governments and Love Northern BC businesses from around the region sharing the importance of supporting local businesses and promoting Love Northern BC.
B.C. Buy Local Week shared seven ways for seven days that people can buy local, including shopping in store, buying local online, buying local made and eating and drinking local. These methods of supporting local are nicely complemented by Love Northern BC, Northern Development’s shop local program.
LOCO BC shared some insightful data behind the importance of supporting B.C. businesses, including:
- 2 out of every 3 dollars spent online in Canada goes to a U.S. multinational;
- C. has 1,800 food/beverage and 600 apparel companies;
- Manufacturing is B.C.’s seventh largest employer;
- Local brewers provide one out of every 100 jobs in Canada and contributes $6 billion in tax revenue;
- 40 per cent of B.C. farms are small. 65 cents of every $1 spent at local restaurants stays in the community compared to 30 cents for chains.