Overview and Mandate of the Northern Development Initiative Trust
Northern Development Initiative Trust (Northern Development) was established in November 2004 (with Act amendment in September 2005) by the provincial government to foster economic development and job creation in central and northern British Columbia.
It is a catalyst for communities to reach their economic potential. The Northern Development Initiative Trust covers more than 70% of the province, from Lytton to Fort Nelson and from Valemount to Haida Gwaii, including thirty-nine incorporated communities, nine regional districts, one regional municipality and eighty-eight First Nations communities.
By legislated mandate, Northern Development project investments must fall within one of the following ten primary investment areas:
- Economic Development
- Olympic Opportunities
- Pine Beetle Recovery
- Small Business
Northern British Columbia is recognized as a global leader in innovative, inclusive rural development.
Northern Development acts as a catalyst for transformative rural development that stimulates entrepreneurial activity and community resiliency.
- Organizational excellence and sustainability
- Community development
- Business development
- Capacity development
As stewards of a public trust incorporated under legislation by the Province of British Columbia, we promise to:
- Dedicate ourselves to building economic capacity and sustainability throughout the Trust’s service area.
- Responsibly steward a capital base to support Trust area communities in perpetuity.
- Develop strong partnerships throughout the region and uphold the values of the communities we serve.
But not to;
- Favour one region, community or business over another
- Adopt or promote a political affiliation or put our interests ahead of central and northern B.C.’s
- British Columbia Board Resourcing Office – Best Practice Guidelines
- Implementing Board Best Practices
- Bylaw and policy manual
Board Attendance Record
- 2022 Board of Director Attendance Record
- 2021 Board of Director Attendance Record
- 2020 Board of Director Attendance Record
- 2019 Board of Director Attendance Record
- 2018 Board of Director Attendance Record
- 2017 Board of Director Attendance Record
- 2016 Board of Director Attendance Record
- 2015 Board of Director Attendance Record