If the last few months have demonstrated anything, it’s that business is booming in northern B.C. In this month’s issue of the Report to the Region, we detail how the coastal community of Bella Bella forged partnerships to resurrect its fish plant and generate dozens of jobs for local residents – it also just so happened to be Northern Development’s 1,000th project!
We also found out that the Fields department store brand is alive and well in northern B.C. under new ownership. Turn to the inside of the issue to find out how a massive Ukrainian cargo plane could mean new global business opportunities for Prince George, and how a new program developed at the Trust is helping small and medium-sized companies in the region cash in on major mine, pipeline and expansion projects throughout the north.
Click here to read Northern Development’s Report to the Region – September 2012 edition.
Northern Development Initiative Trust
About Northern Development
Northern Development Initiative Trust is an independent regional economic development corporation focused on stimulating economic growth and job creation in central and northern British Columbia.
- To date, $110.4 million in funding has been committed to 1,000 projects in communities throughout central and northern British Columbia.
- 5,154 jobs have been created.
- Funding has been partnered with 1,778 organizations, attracting over $1 billion in new investment to the region.
- 74% of investments are in small communities with populations less than 5,000.
- $198.8 million has been invested in new capital and employee training by supported companies.
- Over 2,979 grant writers have been trained to date, 274 hired by communities including 124 by First Nations since 2007.
For information on Northern Development and the community economic development projects being led in communities throughout central and northern British Columbia, visit: http://www.northerndevelopment.bc.ca.