Overview and Mandate of the Northern Development Initiative Trust
Northern Development Initiative Trust (Northern Development) was established in November 2004 (with Act amendment in September 2005) by the provincial government to foster economic development and job creation in central and northern British Columbia.
It is a catalyst for communities to reach their economic potential. The Northern Development Initiative Trust covers over 70% of the province, from Lytton to Fort Nelson and from Valemount to Haida Gwaii, including thirty-nine incorporated communities, nine regional districts, one regional municipality and eighty-eight First Nations communities.
By legislated mandate, Northern Development project investments must fall within one of the following ten primary investment areas:
- Economic Development
- Olympic Opportunities
- Pine Beetle Recovery
- Small Business
Northern B.C. has world-class industries, diversified regional economies and growing, energetic communities.
To be a catalyst for northern B.C. to grow a strong diversified economy by stimulating sustainable economic growth through strategic and leveraged investments.
- Capacity building – To maintain and increase the Trust’s reputation as a sustainable organization that contributes to the continuous growth and development of economic development skills, abilities and scope in all communities in the Northern Development region.
- Funding – To develop and maintain critical grant, loan and other programs that sustainably dispense funding to high value projects that support community and economic development throughout the Trust area.
- Investment attraction – To raise the profile of central and northern B.C. in regions beyond our own in an effort to attract new residents, workers and investors to the region.
- Business development – To facilitate the growth of manufacturers and suppliers in the region, enabling local economic growth associated with major resource developments and infrastructure projects.
- Demonstrating best practices – To responsibly steward the capital base of the Trust for the benefit of member communities and maintain a reputation for the highest standards of responsiveness, client service and collaboration in regional economic development.
As stewards of a public trust incorporated under legislation by the Province of British Columbia, we promise to:
- Dedicate ourselves to building economic capacity and sustainability throughout the Trust area.
- Responsibly steward a capital base to support Trust area communities in perpetuity.
- Develop strong partnerships throughout the region and uphold the values of the communities and businesses we work with.
But not to;
- Favour one region, community or business over another
- Adopt or promote a political affiliation
- Put our interests ahead of central and northern B.C.’s interests